In support of the SSL Upgrade Capability Enhancement Programme (CEP) Re-signalling Phase 1A (track circuit immunisation) works, a new cable route was required to allow the signalling contrator to run cables from the new SCR to other locations within the Depot. Due to the number of cables involved to cross the tracks it was not feasible to install these cables in UTX's so a route had to be designed that utilised the existing TMR Bridge including for transitions up and down the structure at various locations.
Scope of Works
Works included for the following;
- Detailed design of new cable routes based on high level cable quantity information provided by the signalling contractor.
- Consideration made to required segregation of power and signalling cables and EMC issues.
- Production of CAD drawings in support of the above.
- Production of clearance applications for items potentially affecting the structural gauge of the track
- Structural assessment of the existing structure to facilitate the new route
- Phased design to allow critical routes to be provide to the signalling contractor to allow them to meet their programme dates
- Excavation for and installation of new cable catch-pit and support plinths
- Manufacture, delivery and installation of two 8m high steel cable rack risers, each weighing around 1.5t, installed using a crane
over a possession weekend
- Installation of new cable tray fixed to steel cable risers to facilitate power, signalling and fire
- Installation of bespoke and innovative unistrut across the bridge including for transitions through the existing bridge canopy.
- Bespoke unistrut transitions from bridge level to trackside post routes to allow cables to ‘drop-off’ at the required points to serve the various signalling equipment.
- Installation of new cable tray fixed to unistrut transitions to facilitate power, signalling and fire.
- Working times limited dependent upon possession availability within the depot, meaning flexibility was paramount.
- Aggressive programme of works for design and build activities had to be well managed by the project team in conjunction with
the client’s project team.